The Birth Store
Clary Sage Oil - 10ml
Pickup available at The Birth Store
Usually ready in 24 hours
Support your labour progression with clary sage
Clary Sage has been used for centuries predominantly to ease menstrual pains, aid in sleep and relaxation, hormone balancing and more. One popular use is to support the progression of labour when it is safe to do so.
What does Clary Sage do?
There is limited medical information available for essential oils and their benefits, but Clary Sage has been shown in some cases to:
- Reduce the pain of menstrual and contraction pains.
- Aid in sleep allowing you to be more relaxed.
- Have a stimulating effect on the uterus – which is why it is an absolute no-go before 37 weeks and is preferred to use when already in labour with medical support.
- Boost oxytocin levels which causes contractions – this helps to speed up labour if it is slowing down
- Reduce anxiety and aid relaxation whilst in labour
How do I use Clary Sage?
Clary Sage can be used in several ways:
- You can put a few drops in your bath
- Put a few drops on a flannel, tissue or similar and inhale it
- Mix a few drops into a carrier oil and rub it onto your body. When applying to the skin, a carrier oil is a must – a few examples of carrier oils are coconut oil, almond oil, olive oil and sunflower oil (1 drop of Clary Sage to 5mls of carrier oil is recommended)
- Adding a few drops in your diffuser or oil burner. This is a great thing to do when you are at home, full term, and already in labour – if you can diffuse in your birthing suite, we recommend that too. It is best to double-check the policies of where you will be, though; some hospitals have banned Clary Sage in maternity wards due to the effect it can have on other patients or health professionals who are not full-term in their pregnancy
CAUTION:Clary Sage should only be used after discussing with your medical team as they are able to consider your individual medical situation. Under no circumstances should Clary Sage be used before 37 weeks gestation. Please use caution when handling if ordering before 37 weeks.
Keep out of reach of children. If pregnant or under a doctor's care consult your physician. Avoid contact with eyes, inner ears and sensitive areas. For external use only. Always patch test for allergies and seek medical attention if irritation occurs. This is a flammable liquid please handle with care and keep out of the sun.