The Birth Store
Labour & Birth Box - Wooden Birth Comb
Pickup available at The Birth Store
Usually ready in 24 hours
Your Birth Essentials
There are so many beautiful products on the market now to help support you in labour & birth. We have created a kit with a couple of our favourite products from our range and other small Australian businesses to support you in labour & birth.
What's in the Box:
- Clary Sage Oil
- Labour & Birth Roller Blends
- Labour Aid
- Wood Reflexology Labour and Birth Comb
Labour & Birth Roller Blends
This item comes with 3 x 10ml roller blends, each with their own role in your birth - all packaged together in a small pull-out drawer to easily pack in your birthing bag. Plus, they smell great!
Directions for use:
Calm & Relax - Rub on temples, forehead and back of shoulders. Pain Ease - Rub on back during contractions. Oxytocin Boost - Rub on inner ankles and/or lower stomach.
Read on to find out what each ingredient may help you with. Note: Each blend contains coconut oil as it's carrier oil.
Calm & Relax:
- Lavender to reduce anxiety and release muscle tension
- Frankincense to help calm emotions
- Rose to reduce stress levels
- Spearmint to provide natural pain relief (bonus - it may also help with nausea and boost energy)
- Lavender to reduce sensations of physical pain
- Clary Sage to boost oxytocin which can encourage effective contractions (bonus - it may also help to relieve anxiety)
- Jasmine to revitalise and energise the mind as well as lift your mood which can boost oxytocin
This electrolyte drink tastes great and is an incredible way to help aid hydration during labour.
Labour aid is orange flavour and just what you need in labour.
Mix 3 tsp of Labour Aid with 350ml of water or juice and take as required during labour.
Take up to 4 doses daily.
Store below 30°c in an air tight container.
Each 10gm dose contains:
Calcium citrate 1.5g / Eqiv. Elemental CALCIUM 315mg / Sodium ascorbate 1.5g / Eqiv. Elemental SODIUM 166.5mg / Eqiv. Elemental ASCORBATE 1.33mg / Potassium citrate 1g / Eqiv. Elemental POTASSIUM 392mg / Magnesium amino acid chelate 500mg / Eqiv. Elemental MAGNESIUM 150mg
Excipients: Malic acid (derived from apples), Organic natural orange flavour, Fructose and Xylitol. Made in Australia from local and imported ingredients. This bag is compostable.
No added artificial flavouring or colouring. Free from gluten, wheat, dairy, lactose, eggs, nuts and yeast.
Clary Sage Oil
Clary Sage has been used for centuries predominantly to ease menstrual pains, aid in sleep and relaxation, hormone balancing and more. One popular use is to support the progression of labour when it is safe to do so.
What does Clary Sage do?
There is limited medical information available for essential oils and their benefits, but Clary Sage has been shown in some cases to:
- Reduce the pain of menstrual and contraction pains.
- Aid in sleep allowing you to be more relaxed.
- Have a stimulating effect on the uterus – which is why it is an absolute no-go before 37 weeks and is preferred to use when already in labour with medical support.
- Boost oxytocin levels which causes contractions – this helps to speed up labour if it is slowing down
- Reduce anxiety and aid relaxation whilst in labour
How do I use Clary Sage?
Clary Sage can be used in several ways:
- You can put a few drops in your bath
- Put a few drops on a flannel, tissue or similar and inhale it
- Mix a few drops into a carrier oil and rub it onto your body. When applying to the skin, a carrier oil is a must – a few examples of carrier oils are coconut oil, almond oil, olive oil and sunflower oil (1 drop of Clary Sage to 5mls of carrier oil is recommended)
- Adding a few drops in your diffuser or oil burner. This is a great thing to do when you are at home, full term, and already in labour – if you can diffuse in your birthing suite, we recommend that too. It is best to double-check the policies of where you will be, though; some hospitals have banned Clary Sage in maternity wards due to the effect it can have on other patients or health professionals who are not full-term in their pregnancy
Wood Reflexology Labour & Birth Comb
Combs have been used in birthing for centuries, and midwives were taught about using them for pain relief in labour.
They work for a couple of reasons. The teeth of the comb applies acupressure to points in the hand that create a distraction and a new focal point for the brain to concentrate on. It also plays a part in the gate control pain theory; nerve endings in your hand send messages to the brain and distract it from the sensations of contractions.
On top of this, your comb comes engraved with an affirmation; these reassuring words can help to guide you through labour.
Pain Relief For Your Birth
This is what we refer to as our “Secret Weapon” for labour/birth and is an acupressure tool loved by Midwives, Doulas and of course, Mamas alike.
This natural and very effective pain management tool helps women in labour by activating Gate Control Theory. This asserts that when painful stimuli (such as a contraction) is felt at the same time as non-painful stimuli (such as with this “handy” acupressure tool - pun definitely intended) pain signals are then limited from reaching the brain. To see our comb in action please visit our Highlight section on Instagram.
A Multi-Purpose Tool
This comb also makes a wonderful tool for caesarean births as a tool for stress reduction and distraction.
What's more, she is multi-purpose so she becomes a functional hair comb and storytelling/keepsake piece of your baby's birth.